When I started this journey nearly 5 years ago, I had no idea where it would take me. Although I had always suspected that we would have trouble conceiving (cos of my non existant periods) I still niavely thought that we would be pregnant in a couple of months and that by now I would have not just one but two or three little sprogs running around.
I have grown and learnt so much about my body, about my marriage and about my partner during this time. But when I think back there are a few things that I wish someone had had the guts to tell me, so that I could have been a little more prepared for what was going to be thrown in my way.
These are some of the things…
- That not everyone’s cycles are the same – I shudder to think of the months I wasted thinking that I had to have a “normal” 28 day cycle…
- That I would feel like a complete and utter failure – but that with help you can work through that feeling
- That this process would have a SERIOUS impact on my sex life
- That this process would have a SERIOUS impact on the intimacy you have with your partner
- That your real life friends will feel seriously uncomfortable around you – almost like your infertility is contagious
- That your real life friends will be arseholes at times and not trust you with their children cos you are not parents yet
- That I would put my life on hold to save enough money to do multiple IVF’s
- That our families would be there for us in ways we could never imagine
- That the friends we would meet through this journey would be real gems
- That my husband and I would become closer in ways we never would have thought
- That I would realise I was not wonder girl and seek therapy to help me deal with my issues in life
- That seeing other people’s baby belly’s would hurt so much
- That being in a group of women talking about pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, feeding etc would hurt so much
- That I would learn to be happy despite not being able to achieve a pregnancy and family as yet
These are just some of the things that I can think of off the top of my head, I know that there are many more, but right now I can’t really think of them cos I’m drug addled trying to kill the nasty flu bug that found me before my IVF starts next week…
SO! What do you wish someone had told YOU??